A settlement worker is your first connection for information and support.

Settlement workers can help you to:

  • Navigate and learn about your new community
  • Provide up-to-date information and resources
  • Assist you in communicating with employers, landlords, social and government services, legal services and more
  • Assist you with filling out forms
  • Provide support and link you with specialized services to help with personal problems or critical situations
  • Translate limited documents related to employment, health, education and legal matters necessary for immediate settlement
  • Connect you to an interpreter 

Services are available in a variety of locations across Waterloo Region, in both English and French. Many other languages are also available through multilingual staff.

Make an appointment to see a settlement worker to have a free settlement needs assessment where you and your settlement worker can identify what services and information will help you.  

When you go to your settlement appointment, bring your government-issued ID, including your Permanent Residency Card if you have one, and any official documents and letters you have received.

For more information about free settlement services, please visit:


YMCA Immigrant & Employment Services

800 King Street W, Kitchener ON
258 Hespeler Road, Cambridge ON

KW Phone: 519-579-9622

Cambridge Phone: 519-621-1621

Email YMCA Immigrant & Employment Services