Secondary School Supports for Adults

As an adult learner, there are a range of secondary school supports available to you in Waterloo Region.

Through the St. Louis Adult Learning & Continuing Education Centres, you can have your international education documents accessed, get support through literacy and basic skillsearn credits towards your Ontario Secondary School Diploma, take courses required to enter college or university and access guidance support. 

Through the Waterloo Region District School Board, you can get essential skills upgrading, earn credits towards your Ontario Secondary School Diploma and more. 

Secondary School Equivalency

The General Education Diploma (GED) is an internationally recognized test which you can take to earn an Ontario High School Equivalency Certificate. This certificate can help you get a job or apply for higher education or training programs.

In Ontario, you must write the GED test at the Independent Learning Centre. You must meet certain requirements to write the test and pay a fee of $100.

There are 12 testing centres in Ontario. In Waterloo Region, tests can be arranged in Kitchener. Nearby locations include Guelph, Stratford and Hamilton. You can take the test in English or French. Accommodations can also be made for those with special needs or disabilities.

Your settlement worker can provide you with information to help you make informed decisions about your education in Waterloo Region.


Independent Learning Centre

PO Box 200, Station Q, Toronto

Kitchener-Waterloo Multicultural Centre

715 Fischer-Hallman Rd #401, Kitchener, ON

YMCA Immigrant & Employment Services

800 King Street W, Kitchener ON
250 Hespeler Road, Cambridge ON

St. Louis Adult Education and Continuing Education Centres