Before you can register for an English language class you have to get your current English language skills assessed at a Language Assessment Centre. This service is available to immigrants at all language levels. In Waterloo Region, the YMCA Language Assessment Centre assesses English language listening, speaking, reading and writing skills. Contact them to book an appointment.

At your language assessment, you will be referred to English programs and classes that will benefit you the most. You will also receive information about when and where to register and what school you will attend. Before doing a formal language assessment, you can also try the online English language self assessment tool to find out your current language level.

For more information, read Language Assessment - What you need to know.

Language assessment for study or work

If you need an assessment of your English for study or work in Canada, the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is designed to assess your language ability. The IELTS is used for Canadian immigration purposes and is accepted by colleges and universities to show you meet language requirements.

There are two types of IELTS tests:

  • Academic: For people who want to study at university or join a professional association where English is required
  • General: For people who want to apply for Express Entry or other immigration programs to establish residence in Canada

In Waterloo Region, the IELTS Test Centre is located at the Doon Campus of Conestoga College in Kitchener.


YMCA Language Assessment & Referral Service

800 King Street W, Kitchener ON
258 Hespeler Road, Cambridge ON

Phone: 519-579-9622

Phone: 519-621-1621