There are two types of jobs in Ontario: Regulated and non-regulated. You can check the Government of Canada's Job Bank to find out if your occupation is regulated or not and access detailed labour market information for different jobs and locations. 

You can also check with Global Experience Ontario to find out if your profession is regulated. They help internationally trained people qualify for professional practice in Ontario. You can email, call them at 416-327-9694 or register for one of their free live webinars for more information. Health Force Ontario provides information about how to obtain your license in health care professions.

Your settlement worker or employment counsellor can provide you with information to help you understand your employment options in Waterloo Region.

Regulated professions and trades

A regulated profession is controlled by provincial or federal law. It is also governed by a regulatory body. Regulation is intended to protect the safety of Canadians by ensuring professionals meet certain standards.

The two main types of jobs regulated in Ontario include:

  • Regulated occupations, such as physicians and lawyers
  • Skilled trades, such as plumbers and electricians

Getting a license or certification

If you want to work in a regulated job, you must be certified by the regulatory body. Regulatory bodies have authority to:

  • Set entry requirements and standards to assess your credentials
  • Certify, register or license qualified applicants
  • Regulate people operating in that occupation

Requirements for entry into a regulated trade 

  • Technical examinations
  • Supervised work experience
  • Language competency

It can take some time to get a license. If you were trained outside of Canada, you may want to get a non-regulated job in your field while you go through this process. This can be a good way to gain experience.

Learn more about alternative jobs to regulated professions.

Non-regulated professions

A non-regulated profession has no legal requirement for a license. The majority of Canadian jobs are non-regulated. For some non-regulated jobs there are optional certifications available.

You will still need to demonstrate your experience and training to employers when applying for non-regulated jobs.

Credential assessment in Canada

Whether your occupation is regulated or not, it is good to know how your foreign credentials will be assessed in Canada.

Credential assessments will help you:

  • Learn whether your credentials meet Canadian standards
  • Find out whether you need more training, education or work experience to be able to practice your profession in Canada
  • Understand what jobs you may be qualified for
  • Help employers understand your qualifications

You can start the credential assessment process before or after you arrive in Canada. The process takes time and includes administrative fees. Evaluations for an employer may not be the same as an evaluation for a school program, so you should specify your aim.

There are many organizations that can assess your credentials, including:

You can also contact the regulatory body for your profession to learn more about this process.

Transferable skills

Transferable skills are skills that can be used in many different situations or types of work. These skills can be taught, but most are gained through life and work experience. Exploring the skills you already have is an important part of the job search process.

Canadian employers are often looking for the following skills:

  • Oral and written communication skills
  • Teamwork and interpersonal skills
  • Leadership
  • Hard working
  • Logical

Learn more about transferable skills valued by Canadian employers.


Kitchener-Waterloo Multicultural Centre

102 King Street W, Kitchener ON